Over 3000 ex Malawi Young Pioneers (MCP) fighters have threatened an unspecified action if government fails to pay them compensation for loss of job.
The group’s spokesperson Grey Chisale said after the ex MYP fighters received their gratuity, they wrote the Office of the President and Cabinet seeking compensation for loss of job after Malawi Army soldiers unceremoniously disarmed the Malawi Congress Party para-military wing in the 1990s.
“We have been dealing with Mr Chilazi who works in the OPC but of late he has been uncooperative. He never picks up my phone and when I went there he told me he has a lot of job to do, he does not only deal with us as his daily job schedule. He is a nuisance,” he said.
He said the government had earlier indicated that it would pay compensation for the ex MYPs, who put the former head of state, Kamuzu Banda and his ruling Malawi Congress Party in power for four decades through killing of those with dissenting views and supressing any dissent in a brutal manner.
“We will do all we can to ensure that our money is paid,” said Chisale.
He however ruled out armed action against the government, saying the ex MYPs have always resorted to peaceful means to demand for their rights.
Efforts to talk to OPC officials proved futile on Wednesday as their phones went unanswered.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :