Students at Mwanza Secondary School are experiencing meal delays due to fire that has gutted down the kitchen at the institution, damaging K10m worth of electric pots in the process.
Cooks are now using firewood to prepare food for the 300 plus students on the boarding facility.
School head teacher Dereck Mkozomba said the fire started around 2am on Tuesday soon after electricity was restored after the power went off on Monday afternoon.
He said he suspected a faulty leaking electric pot was the cause of the fire.
“I personally instructed the kitchen staff members to switch off all electrical appliances when the electricity went off but it seems they forgot to do so,” he said.
He said students managed to put off the fire at around 4am as Mwanza district council has no fire fighting equipment.
Mkozomba could not say when the pots will be fixed but the accident comes at a time when schools are facing serious budget due to cashflow problems at Capital Hill due to economic problems caused by the withdrawal of donor aid.
The Mwanza Secondary School kitchen fire comes barely days after another fire razed down Mwanza market.
Minister of local government Kondwani Nankhumwa recently warned perpetrators of market fires that they risk facing the long arm of the law once caught.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :