President Joyce Banda has donated US$75,000 (K30 million) to victims of the 20 July 2011 shootings in which 20 people died and several others were injured.
“My heart goes out to all of you who were affected by the shootings on 20 July 2011. I know you face a lot of challenges following the loss of your loved ones some of whom were breadwinners for their families.
“I know you do not have sustainable sources of income for your upkeep, for school fees for your children, fertilizer and other necessities.”
The President said she was giving them the US$ 75 000 ((K30 million) which she received as honorarium for the lecture she delivered in Lagos, Nigeria, on democracy on Thursday last week to help renovate or improve their houses.
The President said she has given them the money because she is deeply concerned with the problems they are facing in their day to day lives after losing their breadwinners.
The money is from APB Speakers International who also sponsored the President’s trip to Nigeria.
The money will be used to renovate and or improve the victims’ houses through the Mudzi Transformation Trust.
The President promised to investigate reports that some people received compensation on behalf of the victims which is yet to reach the intended beneficiaries.
Last year the President gave the victims money to help them start up some businesses.
Banda also promised to erect tombstones on the graves of those who died in the cold blood shooting by the Police during the demonstrations.