Information minister Patricia Kaliati says she feels betrayed by her fellow cabinet ministers in their failed “coup” plot arguing that the decision to subvert the constitution to deny Madam Joyce Banda the presidency was agreed by the cabinet.
On Friday, Kaliati hinted that the Mutharika’s party did not see Mrs. Banda as a legitimate successor because she had been expelled from the governing party.
The statement has since been withdrawn.
Kaliati and some cabinet ministers held a press briefing Friday evening where she read out a statement declaring that Banda was not eligible to take over from late Bingu Mutharika for forming her own Peoples Party.
According to the outspoken government spokesperson, the statement was drafted at office of Chief Secretary Office, Bright Msaka and that she was only asked to read it as government publicist.
” I speak on behalf of government I did not read that statement as Mrs Kaliati,” she said.
“It’s sad that some cabinet ministers who were also part and parcel of the decisions made at the meetings now have started saying this and that, ” she said.
” People have to understand that all these have happened during a crisis, I’m just happy that the President Her Excellency Joyce Banda has forgiven us,” she said
Minister of Transport Sidik Mia told cabinet during the coup plot -engineered by Peter Mutharika and Goodall Gondwe – he was not going to be party and his deputy, Catherine Gotani Hara spilled the beans about the coup plot.
President Banda called for calm, unity and said there will be no retribution.
“I just sincerely hope that there is no room for revenge,” she said. “I just sincerely hope that we shall stand united.”
Meanwhile, the country is on an official 10-day mourning period for the departed Mutharika through its clear there a few tears for dictator Mutharika.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :