Mafco at it again, assault ref and reporter: Soldiers affair end in abandonment

The TNM Super League encounter between hosts Moyale Barracks and Mafco FC ended prematurely on Sunday at Mzuzu stadium after 72 minutes with ugly scenes of Mafco players and officials assaulting referee Alfred Aziz Nyirenda and journalist Madalitso Phiri.

Mafco FC posing for Nyasa Times -
Mafco FC posing for Nyasa Times –

About 6 minutes into the game, Chamveka Gwetsani’s cross from the left found Khuda Muyaba for Moyale Barracks but Muyaba’s powerful header was parried away by goalkeeper Frank Kasiyama for Mafco.

In the 42nd minute, the referee and all players had to lie down in the field of play for 40 seconds because of a fierce swam of bees that flew past the pitch from the southern goal to the northern goal. The scoreboard read 0-0 at recess.

In the second half, it was the lions of Kaning’ina who came with great prowess in search for a goal.

And 6 minutes into the second half, Dan Katunga and Khuda Muyaba exchanged brilliant passes in a fierce attack towards Mafco’s goal, but Katunga shot wide.

Khuda Muyaba was wasteful again in the 56th minute when he alone with the goalkeeper, blasted the ball over the cross bar.

It was in the 60th minute when Zondiwe Munthali for Moyale Barracks delivered a beautiful cross from the right and Chamveka Gwetsani made no mistake but to hit the ball with his left foot to the roof of the net. 1-0 Moyale led.

In the 66th minute, Khuda Muyaba was involved in another brilliant one -two, one -two move with substitute Wiseman Kamanga and Muyaba’s shot ended up kissing the Mafco net. 2-0 to Moyale Barracks.

The Salima based soldiers piled intense pressure on the lions of Kaning’ina in the 72nd minute resulting in a Moyale Barracks player literally handling the ball in the 18 metre box but referee Alfred Aziz Nyirenda could not award the Salima soldiers a penalty.

This did not go well with Mafco to the extent that Joseph Dosa for Mafco slashed down referee Nyirenda. When Aziz Nyirenda woke up, he went straight to his back pocket and flashed a red card to Dosa.

Chaos erupted as Mafco players and officials protested the marching orders for Dosa and the ref’s decision to deny them what they believed was a clear penalty.

Then a journalist, Madalitso Phiri, who is also a member of the Sports Writers Association of Malawi (SWAM), was taking pictures of the Mafco player who had been red carded and that of the ref when Mafco officials and players came charging at him, beating him heavily and telling him to delete the pictures he had taken and in the process, breaking his Sumsung mobile phone. He was fortunately rescued by some stewards but after being heavily beaten.

The game could not resume until 90 minutes when referee Alfred Azizi Nyirenda blew the final whistle.

Nyasa Times failed to talk to officials from both teams due to security lapse.

Mafco were also involved in beating Nyasa Big Bullets players and officials at Chitowe Stadium in Dwangwa, Nkhotakota during a training session ahead of a game in the Carlsberg Cup. They were heavily fined.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
5 years ago

koma zomwe refer anapanga inu munajambula, osamangonena kuti mafco ndiyokoneza koamnso ma refer akuononga mpira, sulom ikuyenera kupeza ma qualified refers, m`ground mumakhala goalie mmodzi osati awiri, ine ndinali ku ground konko and ndinaona zonse zomwe refer anapanga.

Be Humane
Be Humane
5 years ago

!8 yards box and not 18 metre box. MAFCO needs indefinite expulsion from the Super League and a life time ban in Malawi Sports

5 years ago

please get read of MAFCO from TNM Super League

Read previous post:
Joyce Banda gets honorary citizenship of Nebraska State: ‘If you can’t go back home,  please look back’

Malawi’s former president Joyce Banda, founder of the People’s Party (PP) and the Joyce Banda Foundation, was invited by the...