Amid fears that the forthcoming 2014 Tripartite Elections will be affected by infamous Capital Hill looting code-named the Cash-gate Scandal, the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) has assured the nation and its stakeholders that all funding obligations made by government and development partners are intact hence no cause for alarm.
Making an assurance, the Chief Elections Officer (CEO), Willie Kalonga, says the information that had been thrown into the public domain that the commission is experiencing erratic funding in preparation for the polls is not true and should not be taken serious.
“The commission is assuring the public that all preparations for the 2014 elections are on course and there is no activity which has been halted or deferred into the future because of funding,” says Kalonga in a statement issued Sunday.
He says government has been releasing funding to the commission in time and has also assured it that funding for the May 2014 will not be affected despite government’s implementation of austerity measures.
The CEO also states that the Development Partners have equally assured MEC that their decision to withhold direct budgetary support to the government will not affect their commitments toward the elections budget.
“All stakeholders are being encouraged to crosscheck with the commission before making statements on preparations for the elections to avoid creating unnecessary panic and anxiety among the public,” pleads Kalonga.
Meanwhile, phase nine of the voter registration exercise which also marks the end of the exercise comes to an end this Wednesday, December 18.
Malawi goes to the polls next May to elect, for the first time, councillors, members of parliament and president.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :