Officials from the ministry of Foreign Affairs say they are alarmed with the increasing spate of killings and burning of Malawian trucks in Mozambique and would engage their counterparts in the sea port country.
Spokesperson for the ministry Rejoice Shumba said the trend was worrying and the government of Malawi wants to find out from Mozambique as to what is happening in terms of security of Malawians and their property.
“Our colleagues in Mozambique earlier told us that everything would be alright, that they would protect Malawians and their property but looks like the trend is now increasing,” she said.
She said this after three trucks were burnt on Friday, bringing to four the number of trucks burnt to ashes just in a week blowing up K69 million of fuel in the infernos.
On Saturday, two of the three truck drivers turned up at Mwanza Border but one of them is still missing.
Pascal Zulu, spokesperson for Mwanza Immigration identified the two who arrived at the border on Saturday as Leston Tchale, 38 from Ntcheu and Martin Kaipa, 44 from Blantyre.
He said the missing driver works for Zagaf company.
Four Malawians have since been killed since the skirmishes started last year following Renamo decision not to accept the 2014 polls.
At least 11000 Mozambicans are seeking refugee asylum status in Malawi although the government of Mozambique is refusing to declare there is war in the country.