Malawi govt impressed with Mwandama Millennium Village Project

Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, Chris Kang’ombe said Government is satisfied with Mwandama Millennium Village Project (MVP) after realizing the area’s transformation over the past ten years._

He said through MVP lives of communities at Mwandama in the area of senior chief Mlumbe have improved and people are now able to rely on their own.

Kang’ombe made the remarks during 2015-2016 Annual Retreat at Annies Lodge in Zomba where MVP presented its achievements in Malawi for the past ten years.

“Malawi has managed to achieve some of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) through the work of MVP which was carried out in Zomba.

“This should be taken as a lesson as we move forward and as well as the MDGs phase out on December 31, this year to pave way for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) from January 1 2016,” said Kang’ombe.

He commended community members at Mwandama for taking advantage of the project through their active participation to change their lifestyle.

Kang’ombe then called upon all Malawians to localize international goals in the implementation of various interventions in order to achieve the SDGs.

“Government has already taken over payment of salaries to extension and health workers from MVP and will continue to provide necessary support for sustainability of the same,” added Kang’ombe.

On his part, Team Leader for MVP (former Principal Secretary for the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security) Dr. Andrew Daudi expressed happiness that through the project government has done very well in achieving eight MDGs.

“We have made remarkable progress through Mwandama project for the past years where we managed to achieve eight MDGs in areas of education, health, agriculture, water and sanitation and community development,” said Dr. Daudi.

He said the project has managed to construct two health centres, a full primary school, two community Day Secondary schools and irrigation schemes where people will continue to benefit from.

Daudi added that the project has managed to train Health Surveillance Assistants (HSAs) and teachers which has resulted in the reduction of child mortality and HIV prevalence rate and maternal deaths in the area.

He said for example, an increase in maize production has been registered from their initial average of 800kg/ha to an average of 5,200kg/ha in 2006 and 2, 121kg/ha in 2015 season.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
6 years ago

Malawi policy makers are very good at following the international community without really achieving much or even not achieving at all for the good of their people.Look at vision 2020, WHERE ARE WE NOW? Look at GIRL CHILD EDUCATION, how far have we gone? And now we have done away with MDGs. Did we achieve anything with this project? I do not see .And we now say that we are starting SDGs. Do we really take stoke at what we have been doing? I think the best policy is, WAR AGAINST POVERTY, DISEASE AND IGNORANCE. If we can achieve that,… Read more »

Researcher from Souths
Researcher from Souths
6 years ago

This intervention produced results but not in a cost effective way. Also its not sustaniable, just revist this place after 5 years and it will be 90% to where it was before intervention. The remaining 10 percent will be due to normal progressive circular trends.

Ine SINGO pano
Ine SINGO pano
6 years ago

It is really changed the lives of locals, here at Mwandama. Now we are in electified homes, improved Agricultural methods, improved health structures, as the project has built two health centres, improved education facilities….. …. …. …

6 years ago

Mmmmh, mpaka 5200/ ha? Guys data imeneyi mwayitenga kuti?

Read previous post:
Malawi set to achieve Universal Health Coverage –VP Chilima

Vice President, Dr Saulos Chilima Tuesday said the country needed to address inefficiency and wastage of public resources to achieve...