Malawi to experience normal rainfall amounts in 2012/2013

Climate experts from the national meteorological services within Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) have predicted that Malawi will receive normal rainfall amounts during the forthcoming rainy season.

Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Management through Department of the Climate Change and Meteorological Services, said in a statement that  experts presented to users at the 16th Southern Africa Regional Climate outlook forum (SARCOF) rain patterns and how rains will fall in the SADC countries.

“Experts from the SADC region met in Harare, Zimbabwe, with an aim to come up with a consensus forecast for the 2012/2013 rainfall season for the SADC region.

Get ready for normal rain season

“During the deliberations, the consensus outlook indicates that Malawi will receive normal rains in most parts of the country,” reads part of the statement.

They said between October and March, 2013 Malawi will receive normal rainfall amounts, saying the country has 35 percent chance of rainfall being above normal; 40 percent chance of being normal and 25 percent chance of being below normal.

The press release further warned that extreme weather might also be experienced as far as the weather patterns of the 2012/2013 are concerned.

“Extreme weather might also occur in the low lying areas that will result in floods. Since El Nino conditions are becoming established, prolonged dry spell cannot be ruled out,” added the press release.

The seasonal forecast is issued annually as a planning tool. The seasonal rainfall forecast is based on models that use scientifically established relationships between rainfall over Southern Africa and Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs) over the oceans.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
1 Comment
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Read previous post:
Malawi has highest doctor to patient ratio

Malawi has the highest number of patients per doctor standing at 88,321 to one, a trend the Ministry of Health...