Former minister Sidik Mia has walked away from frontline politics, announcing in an exclusive interview with Nyasa Times that he will not stand for election as a parliamentarian in Chikhwawa Nkombezi.
Mia told Nyasa Times on Sunday when interviewed to comment on fevered speculation that he was joining of the opposition parties as a presidential running mate.
“It’s neither here nor there. I want to recharge my batteries by staying away from frontline politics,” Mia told Nyasa Times.
Mia who resigned last month as ruling People’s Party’s vice president responsible for administration and also as Transport Minister said his decision to quit front line politics was the right one for him, his family and for Malawi.
He did not rule out a return at some stage.
“I am absolutely certain that the decision to stay away from front line polticis the correct one. There has been a lot of witchhunt and life threatening situations,” he said without elaborating.
“It is the right thing for me now and certainly for the foreseeable future,” he said.
By stepping back from front-line politics, Mia said he would be able to spend more time with his family.
Mia stressed that he wants to lead a private life.
His dramatic announcement comes as Malawi Congress Party (MCP) where he was linked to be its president Lazarus Chakwera’s runingmate has selected Richard Msowoya.