A 15 year old girl in Mangochi has died after eating mice suspected to have been poisoned.
Cooked, salted or dried, field mice strung on sticks are sold as a popular delicacy in Malawi markets and roadside stalls.
Mangochi Police Public Relations Officer, Sub Inspector Rodrick Maida said the girl is believed to have bought the delicacy from an unidentified person and prepared it for supper which she shared with her three other family members.
“It was immediately after they had taken their evening meal that the four started vomiting and opening their bowels profusely leading to the death of the girl,” Maida said.
He identified the deceased as Enelesi Namasa from Kanyenga viilage in the area of Traditional Authority Nankumba in the district.
Maida added that the other three deceased’s siblings aged six, four, and one respectively were rushed to Nkope Health Centre where they were admitted to and their condition was said to be critical.
The police publicist disclosed that the body of the deceased was lying at Mangochi District Hospital morgue awaiting a postmortem while the police continue with their investigations.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :