Minister Daud commends Cori,  manufacturers of Kukoma cooking oil for safe waste disposal

Deputy Minister of Local Government, Halima Daudi, has commended Capital Oil Refining Industries (Cori) Limited for disposing their wastes in line with safety and environmental protocols.

Daud visiting Cori
Dead on inspection tour

According to Daudi, processing of waste water at Cori, manufacturers of the popular Kukoma cooking oil, is impressive

Daudi was speaking during her recent tour of Blantyre city where she said she wanted to appreciate the level of sanitation in the city.

Besides companies like Cori, she also visited Mudi River and Nasolo River, among other places.

“This tour is very important to our ministry. I had a meeting with our business partners to hear from them the challenges they are facing when it comes to sanitation. I have heard a lot of challenges that they are facing.

“I was so impressed at Kukoma (Capital Oil Refining Industries) with the way they process their waste water. The way they refine their waste water is quite impressive,” remarked Daudi.

During the tour, the Deputy Minister discovered that it was only 16 percent of the toilets that were connected to the sewer system and urged the Blantyre City Council to find solutions so that the remaining 84 percent was also connected.

“We have a lot of work to do. We need to connect the whole city to the sewer system. I was talking to city council to make sure that our sewer system is excellent,” added Daudi.

The tour also discovered that the stinking water in Mudi River was a result of all wastes from Ndirande Township which are damped into Nasolo River. Some Ndirande residents empty their toilets into Nasolo River. It was therefore observed that if there was to be clean water in Mudi River, Nasolo River had to be dealt with first.

Chief Executive Officer for Blantyre City Council, Alfred Chanza, said the city was struggling to manage waste because most of its treatment plants had old equipment and some were not functioning. He added that the council would be partnering with other institutions to ensure that waste management is given the more attention it requires.

“As a council, we are working tirelessly to ensure that Blantyre is a better place to live in by among other things partnering with other institutions to fight pollution,” said Chanza.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
2 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Khekhi
Khekhi
4 months ago

One of the corrupt ministers in Chakwera govt. Nde kuti amulipira to say good things about this company

Che Pichesi
Che Pichesi
4 months ago

Bt needs new brains. People that will not stay in the office but do physical visits. Roads are in a mess, traffic congestion, litter everywhere, vendors not in designated areas and now we have uncontrollable sienta drivers. They now control car parks in town and yet you have the whole city management sitting in offices. Sanity will not only come to Bt with new brains and new engineers. This roundabout thing is of stone age period. Bring new road designs. Design new car parks for sienta. Expand Bt city to accommodate new entrants. Plans should include 3 way traffic.

Last edited 4 months ago by Che Pichesi
Read previous post:
GOtv announces Enhanced Decoder Notification functionality to keep viewers informed, in control

In its strive to give its customers its best services, GOtv is launching Enhanced Decoder Notification (EDN) functionality to enhance communication...

Close