Zambezi Challenge Cup shifted to Blantyre

The two-day inaugural Zambezi Challenge Soccer Cup, which will involve three of the country’s giants Big Bullets, Mighty Wanderers, Silver Strikers and Zimbabwean Caps United from 15th-16th February, has been shifted from Lilongwe to Blantyre on business grounds.

Topsports Operations manager Kelvin Moyo told  reporters on Tuesday at Malawi Sports Council Offices that the tournament has been shifted from Civo Stadium to Kamuzu Stadium because it will be expensive to take two teams from Blantyre to Lilongwe since it is the organizers, who will pay for accommodation and transport.

Kelvin Moyo and Gomegzani Zakazaka during the press Conference....Photo Jeromy Kadewere

Kelvin Moyo and Gomezgani Zakazaka during the press Conference….Photo Jeromy Kadewere

“We have one team from Lilongwe which is Silver Strikers while Blantyre has contributed two teams (Big Bullets and Mighty Wanderers). We thought it wise that instead of blowing lots of cash taking the two teams to Lilongwe its better just to stage the tournament in Blantyre,” said Moyo.

Moyo also said the other reason that forced them to shift the tournament to Blantyre is because of the amount which the owners of Civo Stadium were charging them for two days.

For instance, he said they were asked to cough  K5 million, saying it was unreasonable to them as the whole tournament costs K4 million (about $10 000).

Moyo said the preparations for the tournament are going on smoothly and that they are in talks with the Malawi Defence Force to be present during the tournament as a security measure to support the police.

He also disclosed that they will give each club K250, 000 as participating fee and that each player from the 20 needed from the participating clubs will also be given an allowance.

The money will go straight into each player’s account.

Football Association of Malawi Competitions manager Gomezgani Zakazaka said they were satisfied with Topsports because they have followed all the requirements.

“So far so good, the preparations are going on smoothly,” said Zakazaka.

Zakazaka also emphasized that security will be tight during the tournament and assured supporters to converge at the games in large numbers.

Meanwhile, Topsports has given Mighty Wanderers up to Thursday to confirm their participation.

The Nomads are yet to confirm their participation while Big Bullets and Silver Strikers have done everything

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

Comments are closed.