ACB moves in to monitor K1bn face masks by council

Graft busting body, the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) has moved to monitor the procurement of K1 billion facemasks by district councils amid concerns of high corruption in councils.

Ndala: The bureau will monitor the buying of the facemasks

This comes as Department of Disaster Management Affairs (Dodma) is finding it difficult to account for K6.2 billion Covid-19 fighting money which was also given to councils.

The government has now allocated K1 billion for the purchase of the facemasks.

In a statement signed by Egritta Ndala, spokesperson for ACB, the bureau will monitor the buying of the facemasks to prevent any corruption in the exercise.

Meanwhile, officials from district and city councils say they are working on methods to  implement in order to effectively reach out and distribute face masks to the citizenry under the government funded program of providing the items for free.

The government recently released K1 billion which would be disbursed in all the councils as part various initiatives meant to prevent further spread of coronavirus.

Representatives of  some councils have said that they have already received their cut for the  government funded mask-up  program.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
11 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
CULTURE
CULTURE
5 months ago

Why do we have controlling officers? ACB is taking the duties of controlling officers? I thought it is the responsibility of controlling officers to see to it that everything is moving smoothly following the reports from his subbordinates. Chakwela and Chilima have failed Malawians especially Tonse Alliance supporters who had all hope that thing would change for the better. How can someone with no experience in government entrust him to lead a nation. Chilima where are you? You told Malawians that Peter / DPP was blocking you from performing. Who is blocking you now since DPP is not in control?… Read more »

Ginimbi, the illuminate, the likes of Bushiri

At first when the court nullified the 2019 elections I was happy that we had been given a chance to move to a right direction as a country but alas! the Tumbuka judiciary did not do us a favour, it was a genocide plot orchestrated by the gentle mafia Chilima and the talkative and visionless overrated Chakwera aka bandit with a bible in the hand, Atumbuka mudatipweteka kwambiri!

Last edited 5 months ago by Ginimbi, the illuminate, the likes of Bushiri
Tuntyufe
Tuntyufe
5 months ago

U seriously are buying masks? Instead of prioritizing and strengthening contact tracing and isolation for suspected cases? Abale anga tiphetsa anthu with this approach of business as usual

Benjones87
Benjones87
5 months ago

Waste of time money.

Osaopa II
5 months ago

K1 billion is meant for only three thieves. To give it to 28 councils does not make sense.

Wils
Wils
5 months ago

Mavuto ku Malawi this project is a waste of resources and a failed project. Initiating projects without conducting a thorough needs assessment. 90% of our population are rural citizens and peri-urban dwellers. These people cannot wear masks even if you give them for free. Akangounjika mmanyumba. And it’s a fact. The other 10% are elite urban people who are able to buy their own masks. If I was to advise the president, the 1 Billion could go to education beefing up risk prevention among teachers and learners and we open up schools. Accountability could also be easy monitored and even… Read more »

Chifundo Ganizani
Chifundo Ganizani
5 months ago

The country is corrupt.
From top to bottom.
Simpo

Malawi walero
Malawi walero
5 months ago

Why buying masks from outside the country?
Recomended face masks are the ones made by our own tailors.

Nyekhwe the Nyex
Nyekhwe the Nyex
5 months ago

This government is trash. The concourt judges screwed our countries future big time. Ambuye Chonde tiwomboleni

Last edited 5 months ago by Nyekhwe the Nyex
Kajedza
Kajedza
5 months ago

Money will be released to councils. Council will float tenders. They will then evaluate. Then send it to PPDA for NOC. Then councils place orders. Suppliers will then start manufacturing. Then councils will start inspecting the masks if it complies with MoH Guidelines . Then they start distributing. It will never happen before six months. Best is to ask masksformalawi.org to start supply from their stocks. It has involved a lot of government and foreign stake holders and have pledged to give out free masks . Lot of donations have come in from local and abroad

Putin
Putin
5 months ago
Reply to  Kajedza

If maskformalawi have masks in stock, why didn’t they distribute them free as purported? It’s just another scam.

Read previous post:
Police arrest hospital clerk over fake Covid receipt book

Malawi Police in Mwanza say they have arrested a Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital clerk for allegedly stealing a general receipt...

Close