Organizers of the prayers aimed at remembering the lives of about 20 people who died on 20th July, 2011 during national wide march protest against the then leadership of late president Bingu wa Mutharika have confirmed that the memorial prayers will take place on Monday, July 21 2020.
The people were killed during the two days of public unrest in Malawi.
The protests were sparked by worsening fuel shortages, rising prices and high unemployment in the southern African country hence calls for president Mutharika to step down.
Spokesperson for the affected families Mercy Mbezuma confirmed on Sunday that everything is set for the memorial.
“We will have the prayers as we have always done and family members will also lay wreaths on the tombs of their beloved ones” said Mbezuma.
Commenting on measures put in place ensuring that there are no fears of spreading Corona virus, Mbezuma said they have put in strict measures.
She said everyone attending will be upon arrival be forced to put on a face mask, Wash hands with soap or disinfect with alcohol based hand sanitizer.
Recently, the organisers sounded an SOS as they were struggling to raise funds for this year’s memorial service and nearly give up.
However, Mbezuma could not be drawn to comment on how they have raised the funds.
Previously, the event has been bankrolled by individuals among them President elect Lazarus Chakwera, former Vice President Khumbo Kachale, Harry Mkandawire and Frank Mwenefumbo.