Organizers of the Zambezi soccer Challenge Cup have announced that only two teams participate in this year’s competition.
Top Spots Operations Manager who is also Organizing Secretary of the competition Kelvin Moyo confirmed the development on Friday.
Moyo said several factors including Bullets F.C’s Caf assignment and tight calendar schedule for Football Association of Malawi have contributed to the sudden change.
“After sitting down, we engaged stakeholders and our football parent Football Association of Malawi (FAM) so we decided we have Bullets and Caps play,” said Moyo.
“This is so because we were only given a single day instead of two by FAM and we were advised to choose only two teams to play,” he added.
He said the committee settled for Bullets since they are the reigning champions of Malawi super league and Caps because they are the defending champions of the competition.
Mighty Wanderers who were among the teams that were earmarked to take part in this year’s competition alongside Silver Strikers, Moyale Barracks and other Mozambican clubs are reportedly to have excused themselves since the Lali Lubani boys have just lately started their practice for the new season.
Moyo said teams that have been left out will still play games in the near future against other foreign clubs but in a form of friendly.
Caps United beat Mighty Wanderers 1-0to lift the inaugural Zambezi Challenge Cup last year courtesy of a Malawian born striker Ishmael Thindwa’s strike.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :