Civo booted out, Epac game abandoned as Silver progress: Malawi Press Cup

Struggling Civo Service United on Wednesday had their image dented again after being booted out of the prestigious Presidential Cup by Kamuzu Barracks with a 3-0 goal margin at their own backyard in the Capital City, Lilongwe.

Kamuzu Barracks was a better side as they confidently played their usual exchange passes game with Flames international midfielder Dave Banda controlling proceedings on the midfield for the soldiers.

No wonder, Civo were caught unawares as the visiting side opened the score sheet in the 7th minute through Victor Saidi.

The goal completely disturbed Civo players who kept on chasing their own shadows to the advantage of Kamuzu Barracks as they maneuver past almost all Civo departments without resistance.

KB through
KB through

Civo midfielder Patrick Gunde tried to show some flashes with a number of attempts but could not find the back of the net.

Featuring prodigal son John Lanjesi who was during the transfer window linked with a move to Silver and Pilirani Makupe in defence, the Civo servants failed to contain skipper Joel Chipofya who increased the tally of goals in the 14th minute.

Things got out of hand for Civo when defender Wyson Nkhana was sent off for a deliberate handball.

Towards the end of the game Kelvin Malike hammered the last nail on Civo’s coffin making it 3-0.

Despite winning the game, Kamuzu Barracks Assistant coach Billy Phambala while expressing gratitude to have progressed to the next phase, said he was not satisfied with the way his team played and has promised to rectify the problems once they go back to the drawing board.

Civo coach Thom Nkolongo refused to grant interview.

Silver progresses

At the Nankhaka Stadium, Silver Strikers had to sweat to beat Santhe Admarc of Mchinji 3-1.

Teenager Chawanangwa, who in the last assignment which was also his debut against Banyamulenge netted a brace, scored the opening goal of the match.

Resilient Santhe equalized few minutes later before Ndaziona Chatsalira again put the Central Bankers ahead.

First half ended 2-1 in favour of  the TNM Super League defending champions.

Scoring machine Rodrick Gonani put the game beyond the reach of Santhe when he scored the third goal in the dying minutes of the game.

Epac-KU Police saga

There was controversy at the Silver Stadium as the game involving Epac F.C and Kasungu Police  ended prematurely.

Kasungu Police held the TNM Super League outfit Epac until the last minutes of the second half when the referee awarded Epac a penalty.

Kasungu players protested and later walked out of the pitch in disagreement leaving the referee with no choice but abandon the match.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Read previous post:
Malawi Police nets armed robbers, recovers one gun

Police in the Eastern Region district of Balaka are keeping in custody three people for allegedly being found in possession...