Moyale  win second round opener: Malawi TNM Super League

Moyale Barracks Football Club, popularly known as the Lions of Kaning’ina, have started the second round of 2017/18 TNM Super League season with a 2-1 victory over fellow soldiers Red Lions in a game played on Sunday at Mzuzu Stadium.

Moyale kicks off second round with a win. -Photo by Phillipa Pasula, Nyasa Times
Red Lions lost to Moyale in all soldiers affair.-Photo by Phillip Pasula, Nyasa Times

It was a highly charged and physical encounter from the first whistle as is usually the case when these military sides meet.

16 minutes into the game, Mathews Simbeye for Red Lions was given marching orders by referee Misheck Juba. Simbeye committed a foul worth a yellow but his aggressive verbal war against the ref after that yellow earned him the hated red card.

Despite playing with a player short, the lions from Zomba looked fierce in their attacks.

Captain Chikoti Chirwa’s through ball in the 19th minute found Innocent Bokosi behind Moyale’s defence but all alone, shot off target.

The Lions of Kaning’ina had a meaningful wave of attack in the 31st minute when Wiseman Kamanga’s powerful shot was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Jacob Kaunda.

Two minutes later, the Reds replied with another fierce wave of attack when Boniface Kaulesi’s cutting cross, again found Innocent Bokosi close to the goalmouth but his header hit the left 90 degrees angle on Moyale’s goal posts.

The deadlock was broken in the second minute of added time in the first half when Khuda Muyaba’s thunderous shot was blocked by Red Lions goalie but Muyaba was still on his feet to finish the ball into the net, allowing Moyale Barracks to go for recess with a one nil cushion.

Twenty minutes into the second half, substitute Chamveka Gwetsani for Moyale Barracks took a pinpoint corner kick from the right and Deus Mkutu made no mistake in nodding the ball into Red Lions net. 2 nil.

Red Lions’ reaction two minutes later, was break through on the right flank by Boniface Kaulesi whose cross was handled by left back Mtopijo Njewa in the 18 meter box forcing referee Misheck Juba to award them a penalty. Mphatso Ngwira stepped up to take the spot kick and managed to reduce the arrears to 2-1.

Extra efforts from both sides for the rest of the game time brought no change on the score board.

2-1 it ended in favour of the home team.

Speaking after the match, coach for Red Lions Prichard Mwansa said his charges made some mistakes especially in the second half which cost them the game.

He added that an early red card to Simbeye affected his team’s game plan.

The winning coach Nicholas Mhango said the game was not that exciting but collecting three points was what mattered most.

“Our opponents were very physical but I am happy that we have won the game. I have confidence in these players and I think it’s possible for us to finish on a good slot when the league comes to an end,” explained Mhango who was taking charge of the team from off the technical bench after a very long break when he was away on official military duties in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
Read previous post:
Tigers beat Wizards: Malawi TNM Super League

Azam Tigers came to winning ways on Sunday after prunning Wizards FC 2-1 in the TNM Super League at Mulanje...