Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (Escom) has been dragged to court by a family in Mzimba which isdemanidng K120 million compensation after a 14 year-old Manase Moyo was injuted by a high voltage electrical burn.
The boy cannot go to school as he can not walk as underwent a skin transplant.
Lawyerr for the family, George Kadzipatike said he filed the case at the Mzuzu registry of the High Court of Malawi.
He said the family is suing Escom because it did not respond to the issue when residents reported that its poles at Mtangatanga in Mzimba fell in September 2014.
Despite the powerline were on the ground, Escom neglected the problem until the stepped on the wires when he was grazing cattle.
“The boy suffered deep burns ont eh right foot and leg and deep burns on the left leg,” Kadzipatike said.
He said Manase Moyo also suffered extensive deep burns on the back, abdomen and hands.
“The boy lost rhe skin and had to undergo a skin transplant.
“He is unable towalk, work or go to school such that hus constitutional right to movement, education, to work and earn a living have been violated,” said the lawyer for the family.
Escom is yet to respond to the matter and has not yet challenged the court summons which were served on them.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :