Over 100 get food poison at Chinkhoma tobacco market

Over 100 employees at Chinkhoma tobacco market in Kasungu on Tuesday got food poisoning and some of them were rushed to Kamuzu Central Hospital in Lilongwe for treatment and tests.

Farmers at Chinkhoma

Officials from the tobacco market have been elusive on how the members of staff might have got the food poisoning but some employees suspect they got the food poisoning from vegetables which was part of their meal on Tuesday.

One of the members of staff said most of them had abdominal pains before they opened bowls.

“The situation was really out of hand. Most of the members of staff helped themselves in their nearby bushes,” said a member of staff who asked not to be named for fear of reprisals from management.

He said all the members of staff got their lunch from the Chinkhoma tobacco market cafeteria.

“We had mgaiwa and some vegetables for our lunch. We suspect that the vegetables were poisoned, either accidentally or not,” he said.
Kamuzu Central Hospital medical staff said the hospital was overwhelmed with the people who came with diarrhea disease.

The tobacco market was however operational on Wednesday as most of those who were down with diarrhea were now out of danger and most of them reported for duties except for those who were admitted to Kamuzu Central Hospital.

The hospital is yet to release the findings of the tests.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From the World

  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
aoif
Guest
aoif

😲😲😲

Pumbwa
Guest
Pumbwa

Kuterekutu amangoti pwe! pwe! pwe! kudzibibila kkkkk

Chingambwe Cha Kukapitolo
Guest
Chingambwe Cha Kukapitolo

A Central Hospital which is a referal being overwhelmed with just 100 opening bowels petients???

Anzeru aku Mmawa
Guest
Anzeru aku Mmawa

Izinso ndiye ziti, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mwawaphikira zakudya nkuwapatsanso poison. ……anyway it might happen that vegetable supplier did not want to loose the contract by not disclosing that he or she had just applied chemicals to his or her garden. Therefore the supplier decided to supply cultivated vegetables without considering health problems towards the employees.

More From Nyasatimes