Three men electrocuted to death at Chichiri shopping mall in Blantyre
June 10, 2018 Alick Mande - Nyasa Times 5 Comments
Three unidentified casual workers have died of electrocution at Chichiri in Blantyre, police have confirmed.
The three deceased persons were hired by William General Maintenance to fix a Bill Board at Chichiri Shoprite in the city when they met their fate.
“In the course of working on the assignment, a ladder which they were using fell on Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) live wires,” explained Augustus Nkhwazi Blantyre Police publicist.
“They were electrocuted in the process and they were rushed to Queen Elizabeth Central (QECH) Hospital by wellwishers where three of them were pronounced dead upon arrival.”
One victim survived with fire burns and is receiving treatment at the QECH namely Victor Namweto 31 of Nakhoro village traditional authority Kaduya in Phalombe.
The bodies of the three deceased persons are being kept at the hospital mortury pending identification and Postmortem examinations.
Sharing is caring!
There is very little the government is doing to enforce the health and safety laws that were enacted in 1997. Companies are supposed to register with ministry of labour but usually the funding at the ministry of labour is either too little or goes into the pockets of administrators. The functions at labour are controlled by administrators and not technocrats. It is is another useless department. The president himself should punish the minister responsible and ask him to resign or fire him. These are young men. Iwe Chilima you are still in government and you ought to be talking about… Read more »
lets be safety conscious.life is so precious
Unaceptable.. All engineering works cannot go without SHEQ approvals>