Malawi government has dismissed media claims that the Chinese government has withdrawn the funding for the state-of-the-art stadium project Malawi’s capital, Lilongwe.
Government spokesperson that also doubles as minister of information and Civic education Moses Kunkuyu on Sunday whacked the reports, describing the news as “untrue”.
“The genuine agreement that was signed is still there and the stadium will be built in Lilongwe” said Kunkuyu.
The People’s Republic of China, through its Export-Import Bank, has pledged to provide a 65-million-U.S. dollar loan to Malawi towards construction of a modern national stadium in the capital, Lilongwe.
Malawi Parliament authorized the government to go ahead and borrow the funds from the Export-Import Bank of China.
Kunkuyu said the stadium whose seating capacity would be 40,000 people, would be able to host all kinds of sporting disciplines in Malawi, adding that the stadium would have a standard natural grass football area and 10 synthetic tracks.
Earlier this year, the late Bingu wa Mutharika government announced that it had decided to have the stadium built in Blantyre because Lilongwe already has a number of development projects funded by the Chinese Government.
The move sparked controversy as other quarters, including some members of Parliament, protested, arguing that Blantyre already has the giant Kamuzu Stadium, which only needs to be refurbished.
But the Joyce Banda administration moved the project back to Lilongwe where a foundation stone was laid.