High Court judge Kenyatta Nyirenda on Sunday granted broadcaster Albert Mungomo an injunction stopping taxpayer-funded Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) from effecting a demotion on him from the post of director of programmes.
MBC demoted Mungomo last week as first reported by Nyasa Times and reverted him to his previous position as chief training officer (CTO) after MBC board of directors meeting on November 16 2015 confirmed appointment of journalist Mzati Nkolokosa as acting director of programmes replacing Mungomo.
But Mungomo rushed to court to seek relief and his lawyer Frank Mbeta, said he has since served on MBC board the injunction granted by Judge Nyirenda.
Mbeta said following the interim court relief, Mungomo “still remains” director of programmes and “enjoys the same benefits until the court determines.”
According to the lawyer, the matter will be heard at the Industrial Relations Court (IRC) where it will make a determination that the MBC board decision was tantamount to unfair labour practices; hence, the decision should be rescinded.
He said the only issue that is in High Court is the injunction part.
“But the substantive hearing of the matter will be done in the IRC because it is essentially a labour matter.”
According to MBC board chairperson Moffat Banda was given the position on probation of six months and upon completion and satisfying management and the board, he was going to be confirmed as director of programmes.
He said after an appraisal, Mungomo “did not satisfy” and as such he was reverted to his position.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :