Malawi Government has said that the probe into the mysterious fire at Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (Escom) Headquarters in Blantyre is almost through and due for release.
The country’s Minister of Information, Tourism and Culture Kondwani Nankhumwa has also said that another probe into the suspected disappearance of some 30 000 metric tonnes of maize from the strategic grain reserves is also complete with a report on the investigation to be as early as next week Friday.
Nankhumwa could not, however, say when exactly the Escom fire report will be released with government still analysing several reports which are holding contrasting views on the fire.
“There are four reports from the insurance company, Blantyre Fire Brigade, Escom and Malawi Energy Regulatory Authority (Mera); all these are giving a conflicting position and as government, we will make an announcement after finishing analysing the reports,” he said.
On the suspected disappearance of maize which the previous administration reported that it was rotten and disposed of, Nankhumwa said the official government report was almost complete.
“By Friday next week, the nation will be informed of what happened. The Malawi Human Rights Commission [MHRC] had separate investigation, but they are yet to furnish us with details,” said Nankhumwa.
MHRC, in its annual report last year, also demanded a proper account on the disappearance of the maize and subsequently launched its own investigation into the matter.
A previous report on the Escom fire by the previous People Party (PP)-led government ruled out foul play, but civil society groups insisted on a fresh probe following change of government in May.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :