Victims of electic shock tragedy identified

Three casual workers who died after a scaffold they were using to replace Shoprite banners fell on overhead powerline at Chichiri in Blantyre, have  now been identified by their relatives.

The scene of the tragedy

The victims have been identified as Harold Chisakasa aged 30 of Mteya village T/A Ganya in Ntcheu who was residing in Ndirande township, Kriswell Jenda aged 25 of Ntala village T/A Mwambo in Zomba was residing in Kubaluti and Cromwell Billiati aged 29 of village Mpalare T/A Phambala in Ntcheu and was based at Chirimba township in Blantyre.

The three deceased were hired by William Mauya of  William General Maintenance to replace the banners at Chichiri Shopping Mall in the city when they met their fate.

They were knocked down by electric shock after their scaffolding  moved by the strong winds.

One victim, namely Victor Namweto aged 31 of Nakhoro village Traditional Authority Kaduya in Phalombe, survived with serious fire burns and is receiving treatment at the Central Hospital (QUECH).

Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (Escom) has expressed shock at the loss of the three lives.

Escom public relations manager Innocent Chitosi advised the public to always involve the corporation when working near its infrastructures.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
9 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
#DzukaniAmalawi
#DzukaniAmalawi
3 years ago

This is a very sad chapter in Malawi. People are so desperate for work that they accept to work in very atrocious conditions with no regard for safety. I urge the authorities to investigate whether William General maintenance has the necessary accreditation or certificate to operate a maintenance company. If we love ourselves as Malawians then the company owner should be charged for negligence or manslaughter and be tried accordingly. The families of the deceased should be compensated accordingly. Engineering, Construction and Maintenance companies should take a big lesson fro this tragedy and not cut corners for profit.

Mzanga Dausi
Mzanga Dausi
3 years ago

Did William General Maintenance buy insurance for them? Did William General Maintenance conduct any health and safety measure before letting the boys go ahead with those works?

William General Maintenance must be charged with criminal negligence, and must compensate the families of those boys for loss of life.

Else like Chaponda they must be hanged upside-down by their penis and the balls.

No more mediocrity in Malawi.

bunali
bunali
3 years ago
Reply to  Mzanga Dausi

As a contractor, I feel sorry for William.. The regulations
say you must work 6 meters away from those lines. From the pictures, the scaffold was less than 6 m.

Analista
Analista
3 years ago

Did they do a risk assessment? Who signed it off if they did?

Gwamula
Gwamula
3 years ago

Occupational safety should always be a priority in any job, and particularly those jobs involving high risk. Employers should be held responsible for such saddening loss of life which would have been easily avoidable.
I trust officers in the ministry of labour will take the relevant steps to ensure the beteaved families are compensated by their employer. Similarly, any elements of criminal liability should be explored by the prosecuting authorities to make all other employers of their duty towards their employees amongst other people who may be affected by their activities.
May their souls rest in eternal peace

Sams
Sams
3 years ago

The company should have calculated upcoming loss/danger before the poor souls started work – distance of placards replacement place to escom wires. This is how most of us business owners we don’t value the lives of our staff.

Nambuma Girl
Nambuma Girl
3 years ago

May Their Souls Rest In Peace. My Heartfelt condolences to their families.

KWEKWE
KWEKWE
3 years ago

MTSRIIP

khodo
3 years ago

Too bad

Read previous post:
Malawi striker Gabadinho unveiled as Hope for Cancer ambassador

Malawi and Bidvest Wits striker Gabadinho Mhango has been appointed as brand ambassador for the Hope for Cancer Foundation (Hocaf)....

Close