Court blocks Mphwiyo travel: Cashgate gunshot survivor heading to South Africa

Cashgate suspect and former Ministry of Finance budget director Paul Mphwiyo  has been stopped by High Court in Lilongwe from travelling to South Africa to undergo a medical attention on his jaw following his shooting on September 13 2013.

Mphwiyo: Gun shot survivor blocked from travel until he makes fresh application

Mphwiyo through his lawyers assured the court that the gun short survivor would return to Malawi as he has previously done when he was last granted permission to travel to South Africa.

Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Mary Kachale said the State does not intent to block Mphwiyo from seeking medical attention but said he applied too close to the time of travelling and queried that the application was for a travel to a surgery yet the documents logged “do not state the same.”

Kachale also said there is no guarantee that Mphwiyo would not be a flight risk.

She also argued that Mphwiyo did not submit any referral assessment from any doctor in Malawi.

High Court judge Esmie Chombo ordered that Mphwiyo should not access his passport which continues to be in the custody of the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB).

The judge said Mphwiyo should make a fresh application to address State concerns.

Chombo said in her ruling that the State raised “very critical, genuine and pertinent objections.”

The judge said Mphwiyo need to furnish the court with “full details and the necessary documentation in support of the application”.

Mphwiyo is facing charges of theft and money laundering K2.1 billion ($4.7 million).

He is on a K10 million bond, bonded his Area 43 house and four cash sureties worth K2 million each.

But he is a victim of the shooting outside the gate of his Area 43 residence in Lilongwe when he was budget director in the Ministry of Finance.

Former justice minister Ralph Kasambara, Pika Manondo and McDonald Kumwembe were convicted and jailed on the attempted assassination of Mphwiyo.

Apparently, the arrest of accounts assistant Victor Sithole – currently serving nine years in jail with hard labour for his part in the K24 billion ($53.3 million) “cashgate” corruption scandal – in August 2013 kick-started what became known as the “cashgate” affair – the worst financial scandal in the country’s history.

It became public knowledge a month later following the shooting of Mphwiyo.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

3 thoughts on “Court blocks Mphwiyo travel: Cashgate gunshot survivor heading to South Africa”

  1. CASHGATE boss says:

    When will the case of Savala and his wife be heard

  2. Xylene says:

    Akufuna athawe eti… ayambe kupanga ya a Chair mpaka mlandu uzizile… dont allow him to go out! Mbava!!

Comments are closed.